Tuesday, January 31, 2006

sick bay

Welcome to the house of sickness - or at least it seems that way. M woke up this morning with a nasty cough, saying "I need to go to the doctor". Talking made him cough and coughing made him feel like he couldn't breathe, so clearly school was OUT. I spent 20 min or so on the phone, trying to hit that magic moment when the dr's office opens and once I got through (amazingly quickly, actually) waiting to talk to an actual person to make an apt. Got an apt for 11 - of course, by then, he didn't seem quite so sick, but off we went. Dr. B says he has a sinus infection, which is causing drainage and causing occasional tummy aches, sore throat and cough. So, off to CVS we go - where M has to decide whether chewables or liquid is the lesser of 2 evils. After asking what flavor they are (the pharmacist has no idea), he chooses chewables. We get the cough syrup and nasal spray also and we're all set. Or so it seems - getting the meds in M is not so easy. The cough syrup and chewables aren't too bad, but the saline mist is difficult to say the least. And of course, its the thing that the dr says will help the most and that we should use "as often as possible - every hour or two". We got 3 doses in today, in 8 hours, but not easily.

Then when A got home from school, he says he has a tummy ache. He snuggled with me for a bit, but soon moved to the sofa where he ended up napping for almost 2 hours. When either of the kids naps voluntarily, I know they are sick. By dinner time, M seems to be feeling pretty good. A has perked up some with his nap, but just has jello for dinner.

Tonight was the Pack meeting for Scouts. I really needed to go to give out awards to the Tigers, so D got to stay home with A. We decided that M was well enough to go, esp since this would probably be a short meeting, without any running around. It was a short meeting and M did fine - he didn't even ask to go play outside (partly he knew I wouldn't let him and partly I think he was tired and ready to come home).

So, I'm not sure who's going to school tomorrow. M should be ok - the dr cleared him to return. Late this afternoon, I would have said no for A, but he was mighty perky at bedtime - a long nap can do that for you. I guess I'll just have to see in the morning.


Post a Comment

<< Home