Monday, October 16, 2006

My civic duty

I've been off doing my civic duty today - jury duty. There was a lot of sitting around and waiting, but I was mostly prepared for it (mentally, not physically - I'm not used to "sitting" most of the day). There were 56 "no-shows" today, which is evidently many more than usual, so they warned us that most excuses would not be honored and that if you were sent for jury selection and were not empaneled, you would have to go back to the main jury pool (usually you are released at that point).

I asked how long most trials lasted and they said one to two days, usually - BUT, they had some bigger cases this week. Uh-oh. I don't want a long case. I only have kid care arranged through Wed afternoon, then I would have to scramble for Thur.

Anyway, I got called to be questioned for a civil case. The lawyers asked a bunch of questions, including does anyone in our sub-jury pool know each other. 2 people raised their hands. It seems she teaches an aerobics class he takes.

Fine, says the lawyer, do you see each other outside of aerobics?
Yes, school
Oh, you go to school together?
No, our kids do

It doesn't seem so funny writing it out, but in the courtroom, it certainly sounded like they had kids together and the whole place cracked up. Maybe it just doesn't take much to break the tension in a courtroom.

End result, I got picked for the jury and have to report back tomorrow morning. Hopeful thought - the judge mentioned that she might see some of the same jurors this afternoon as they would be picking another jury - hopefully for this same judge to hear the case later this week. I SO hope that the case is short!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So did you hear a case? As a lawyer, I'm always happy when people do their civic duty. Bravo!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Carol P. said...

Yeah, didja? I gotta say, serving on a grand jury a while ago was quite they eye-opening experience. I now rail at the local newspaper when they discuss grand juries, because I think they have no clue what it's like to be one of 7 people in the windowless basement hearing the state's arguments for 5-7 cases in a day...

12:53 AM  
Blogger owlfan said...

Yes, I did. And now that's its done, I can blog about it. Post forthcoming.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home