Saturday, November 11, 2006

Fall Colors

I know down here in the South, and not in the mountains, we don't have the same sorts of fall colors that some places do, but... I still enjoy the colors.

I think that some of it is that we have so many pine trees that don't change so we don't have the big sweeps of color some places do. And our colors seem to be perhaps even more dependent on the weather. That said, we have a nice display this fall. The paper even says its better than it has been in several years.

So, here are a few pictures to enjoy.

our backyard

my mom's neighbor's yard

down the street from our house

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol P. said...

Oooh, lovely! Fall is my favorite time of the year!

I was just telling my girls that I think that Oregon fall colors are richer because they have the green backdrop to set them off. When you look at the bright yellows of big leaf maples mixed in with the deep greens of doug fir and cedar, the contrast sets them both off. Through in a gray sky and the softening that comes with rain, and you have the recipe for a glorious autumn vignette!

I've seen fall in New England (went to school there). Flying westward out of Boston about 10 years ago -- S and I had 6 week work sabbaticals, so we headed back east so he could see where I went to school plus see Sept/Oct in New England and Nova Scotia -- I was struck by how the Berkshire Mts. of western Mass looked like an infrared photo. Everything was red, red, red. Glorious, and yet at the same time, it looked like a photo that had been retouched (these days, we'd say photoshopped...).

12:59 AM  
Blogger owlfan said...

The green backdrop works well sometimes, other times it just dilutes the colors.

We had a lot of wind last night which knocked a bunch of leaves out of the trees, so I imagine our fall show of colors will be ending soon.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home