Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Pack meeting

We had our first pack meeting for Cub Scouts tonight. I had 8 of my Wolves there to get awards. I thought I was going to have 11 boys. In order to get any awards, first the boys have to earn their Bobcat badge. Mostly its memorizing 2 passages, The Cub Scout Promise and The Law of the Pack.

I had 4 boys who still needed to work on one or both passages. I talked to each of their moms in the past week and arranged that I would be there early tonight so the boys could come and recite for me and then get their awards. Well, out of the 4, only one showed up. I was rather disappointed. The boys will likely be disappointed also, as they all like getting awards and recognition. And now, I will have to plan on getting someone to take them aside and drill them on the passages the next time they show up (rather than doing whatever activity we have planned). I did this with 2 boys last week. We drilled on The Law of the Pack until they could recite it, THEN they could go and work on their whittling.

Oh, yes, they decided that this year the Wolves could earn their Whittling Chip - the right to carry a pocket knife at Scout events. My Wolves are very excited about this. I imagine many of them have ordered pocket knives as their popcorn prize.

Popcorn orders were due tonight. I'm SO glad that D isn't Popcorn Kernel anymore. He (WE) did it for 3 years and it was a pain trying to track down all the forms and get everything ordered, etc. Over the years we had problems with missing popcorn orders as well as missing prize orders. And then there was the fun of sitting in a parking lot in the COLD for 3 hours waiting for the Scouts to come pick up their orders.

A was quite the salesman this year. He sold just over $1000 of popcorn! That was his goal - a prize of a $50 gift card to Wal-Mart. He won't get the prize until the Christmas party and we've already discussed how that will be very close to Christmas and he should wait until after Christmas to see what he still wants and didn't get.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carol P. said...

Wow! Congratulations A! That's a lot of popcorn!

I'd rather do just about anything for Girl Scouts than be the troop's cookie manager. Tracking down forms and money and on and on and on until I'd go crazy. I'm impressed that D did popcorn management for 3 years.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home