Thursday, October 26, 2006

Taco soup

Almost all of my family loves Taco soup. The exception is M, who's wary of anything new.

We first had taco soup at a church dinner last year. It was really good and I got the recipe. I think I might have made it once in the spring before it seemed too warm for soup. But last week, as it cooled off, it seemed perfect for taco soup. I made it for dinner one night and A was delighted - he had seconds. D and I enjoyed it a lot also.

I offered my mom a serving, in exchange for some of her vegetable beef soup. She loved it and wanted the recipe. Then she made it and offered a bowl to another friend who wanted the recipe.

Both my mom and our friend made taco soup to take to a church dinner last night. A heard that taco soup was going to be offered and he definitely wanted to go. Luckily there were some leftovers - I had a bowl of it for lunch today with my mom.

Can you tell we like this??

I'm wondering how often I can get away with making it this winter. If it weren't for M, we'd probably have it every other week for a while. Even I might get a bit tired of it after a while, though. maybe, maybe not. It's definitely going in the rotation, though.

Taco Soup
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 oz) can chili beans
1 (15 oz) can black beans
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (12 oz) bottle beer
2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained*
1 (1.25 oz) pkg taco seasoning
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts

optional:
shredded Cheddar cheese
sour cream
tortilla chips

Put all ingredients (except chicken) into crock pot and stir to mix. Lay chicken breast on top of mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered. Cook on low for 5 hours, then remove chicken. Allow to cool just enough to handle. Shred chicken and put it back into crockpot. Cook for 2 more hours.

Serve topped with shredded cheese, dollop of sour cream and/or crushed tortilla chips.

*I usually use 1 14.5 oz can tomatoes with chilis and it works fine for me. My mom used 1 10oz can Rotel tomatoes and 1 addtional 8oz can Rotel tomato sauce - she said it was quite spicy, but good. Clearly you can play around with the recipe some.

I think my friend got this recipe off some recipe site online, but I don't know where.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home