Monday, June 19, 2006

Happy Father's Day

We had a rather quiet father's day yesterday. We went out to pick blueberries in the morning - shocking the kids by not going to church. M said, "but the only time we don't go to church is when we're out of town". Well, not quite, but almost.

They had just had an article about U-pick places in our paper, so I knew the berries should be ripe. It was just too nice a morning not to go - it was still pleasantly cool and we didn't have to worry about getting home in time for swim practice. So off we went. We got a gallon of berries (and plenty of tastes).

I would walk up to a bush and taste a berry. Some of the varieties are sweeter than others, so I wanted sweet berries. Often I would sample 2 or 3 bushes before I found a good one. Then I would pick all the ripe berries on that bush. Then repeat. We probably picked for about 45 min to fill our gallon. The kids have gotten to be reasonably good pickers, but they get tired after 20-30 min.

Earlier in the year, they were excited about the idea of picking berries and selling them at a profit. I don't know if they are still interested after remembering what picking is like. Hmm. We'll see.

D requested hamburgers for dinner, so we had those and fresh blueberry muffins. Yumm.

After dinner, D opened the gifts the kids had made at church (and one from school for A). I think this was the first year either kid has made a father's day gift at school, while they always make mother's day gifts. A had made a book of "things I like to do with my dad". It was cute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home