Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Craziness has Started

The school year is starting to wind down - or is it wind up? It's going fast and furious around here this month.

Thursday:

Field Day for A: 8 am til noon. That's a long time in the hot sun for 2nd graders and adults alike.

Open House at the gifted center 5:30-7:30 AND parent orientation at the middle school 6:30-7:30 Oops, conflict time here. We had to do a "cannibals and missionaries" to get all of us where we needed to be. My mom picked the kids and me up to head to the open house and D met us there. We all looked at the classwork M and A have been doing and A got to preview 3rd grade classes that he might want to sign up for next year. Then D and I dashed off to the parent orientation at the middle school (across town), while my mom took the kids home (stopping at Sonic to feed them dinner). We could have taken the kids to the parent meeting but both (especially A) would have been bored. D and I got some good information from both visits (but no dinner ever).

Friday:

Popsicle party for the straight A students: 10:30-12:30 Finding all the right students, and explaining that this was only for all A's and only for the last report card (not the progress report that some were thinking of). Oh, and we got our May cold snap just in time for eating popsicles outside. Thursday it was hot and humid, Friday it was downright chilly.

And in the midst of coralling students to go chill with the popsicles, I was taking yet more photos of 5th graders. I think I got every single kid, in groups of 2 or more, while eating lunch. It's hard to make sure we get every kid's photo. I know there was at least one kid absent Friday - and I know I haven't gotten a photo of her, maybe my partner has - I hope. I'll have to make sure I get a photo of her next week or at field day...

Friday evening M had a birthday party 7-? while D and I had an awards banquet for his school, starting at 7, downtown, at least 45 minutes away. Luckily the birthday mom offered that M could go home with them and spend the night so my mom didn't have to keep A up late to go retrieve M. The party evidently wasn't over til 10:30, but D and I didn't get home til almost midnight. The awards banquet was nice, but too long. Its always too long - they try to shorten it, but somehow it always gets lengthened again. As the years go on, I know more of the kids from D's classes so the banquet is even more interesting. It will get really interesting in a few years when M and one of the other teachers kids are both eligible for the magnet program. And of course many of M's friends will also be eligible and considering the program.

Luckily today has been mostly quiet, but the crazy schedule will continue for the next 3 weeks. On Friday, I joked with the secretary at school that I should just sign in to the school constantly for the rest of the school year. I will be there at least every other day for the next 3 weeks, and the last week of school I already have marked to be there T, W, Th and Fri.

A lot of the school craziness is dealing with 5th grade, so maybe it won't be this crazy next year. It seems busier than last year (but I think I think that every year). I realized yesterday that it will be really crazy when A is in 5th grade, because then I will have both kids "graduating" from their respective schools (in 5th and 8th) and the schools will not likely be coordinating plans!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home