Thursday, September 20, 2007

I've forgotten how much I hate smoke

I suppose that its a good thing that I've forgotten exactly how much I hate smoke. It means I don't smell it much - as in hardly ever. Our area has a smoking ban in restaurants now. No more asking for the non-smoking section or worrying that your non-smoking seat will be right next to the smokers. It's a non-issue now.

Except tonight. D and I went to a fund raiser for his school. It was a wine tasting and finger food reception with a silent auction at a local restaurant. Except that since it was a private party, evidently the no-smoking rule didn't apply. Yuck. I had to stay out of half of the restaurant or I felt sick. If we do this again, I will have to try to remember to check on the smoking policy.

This is a far cry from the days of yore - in the pre-kids days one time D and I were on vacation with some friends in the Pacific Northwest. We were in some really small town, in logging country. Most of the cars (excuse me, trucks) had bumper stickers readering "save a logger, kill a spotted owl". Well, we went out to breakfast in the only restaurant we could find in this small town and we were seated at the ONE, single, solitary non-smoking table. Yeah, that did a lot of good. We were also the only people in the place not wearing flannel and facial hair. On the plus side the food was good, cheap and very plentiful.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Carol P. said...

Even the women had facial hair??? Skeevy! Heh...

But yes, I totally love the lack of smoke these days, except at the entrances and exits to buildings.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home