Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Last Day without a Teen

Yes, tomorrow M will become a teen.  I'm not ready for this but he seems to be.  And I suppose that that is how it is supposed to be.  Turning 13 just makes all those other big years seem so much closer - like driving, especially.

13 years ago tonight I was in labor - had been all day.  I was waiting, not very patiently, for the arrival of this baby.  He was overdue and labor was long - he wouldn't be born for hours still.  Now it seems like he is trying to make up time by speeding through life.  He wants a laptop, he wants a car, he wants to make his own decisions.  I want him to slow down a bit, especially when he is still being the caring boy he can be - who is willing to sit in my lap (not for long or my lap complains), wants a cat to cuddle in bed with, and likes to share silly stories.

Other times, though, well, the teen/toddler is not so charming.  I've heard that teens are just toddlers in a big body.  Several months ago I didn't quite understand.  Now I do, unfortunately.  Teens can be just as stubborn and temper-tantrumy as a toddler, but you can't just pick them up and plop them in a crib anymore.  The whys are back as well.  Why, why, why, why, why????

I think we're in for an interesting ride.  Too bad there isn't a pause or rewind button sometimes.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Carol P. said...

Happy Birthday M! And let me know how it is to be the parent of a teen... We're full on into the toddler-mode here as well, testing limits just because, tantrums, sulks, easy frustration and all. This too shall pass, right?

11:09 PM  
Blogger Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Happy belated birthday to you and your boy.

All I have left is teens (and a young adult)--it's hard, but not as bad as some people make it out to be. Seeing them on the other side as responsible young adults is so gratifying.

Good luck--it is sure to be a bumpy ride.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was touched by your comments. And happy birthday again to both of you. I remember that night well--and the joy in the morning.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home