Sunday, March 04, 2007

Fun with Möbius

M was talking about Sonic tonight, who lives on the planet Mobius. That got me to thinking about Möbius strips so I made one for each kid. We traced a line down the middle of each one to see that there is only one edge. Then we cut along the line - surprise, there's only one longer loop, not 2. Then we cut that one again - now there are 2 inter-twined loops.

I remember when my grandfather showed me a Möbius strip. I thought it was really cool. I must have been younger than M, though, because my grandfather died before I was M's age now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carol P. said...

This is also a Brownie GS badge activity (don't tell M and A). Basically, you twist once and cut down the middle. Then you make another and twist twice and cut(interlocking rings). Some girls in J's troop went up to 10 twists, just for the fun of it!

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home