Friday, March 02, 2007

Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss

Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss and The Cat in the Hat! The Cat in the Hat is 50 today. You can send him a birthday card and Random House will donate a book.*

On another site** I found this statistic: "On average, children in middle-income neighborhoods have approximately 13 books per individual child. In contrast, for low-income children, there is estimated to be 1 book for every 300 children." And at firstbook.org I found: "61% of low-income families have no books at all in their homes for their children."

Wow. According to that average, we should have at least a dozen more kids in our house. We are overflowing with books. We have at least 5 bookcases that are completely or mostly full of books - and yet, I've been thinking that we probably need 2 more bookcases.

Yesterday we went to the library and I had to caution the kids not to get too many books or we would go over my card's limit (of 50 books). Total out on my card currently: 49.

Here's another site where you can click to help give books to kids.

I can't imagine no books in a house. Please help send books to kids.


*For every Cat in the Hat Birthday Card received, Random House Children's Books will donate one book to First Book (up to 1,000,000 books). Birthday Cards must be received by Random House between January 9, 2007 and May 1, 2007 at midnight.

** They said they found the statistic on the Dr. Seuss site, but I couldn't find it there.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home