Saturday, May 31, 2008

Book Binge results

As anticipated, my list of books is rather short for this month.  May has been a very busy month, with the end of school occurring.  Field day, awards ceremonies, end-of-year teacher gifts all took extra time - much of it coming out of possible reading time.

These first two books I had out of the library for over a month and never got very far.  I think if I had gotten farther into them, they might have caught my interest more, but I ran out of time.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - got to page 23, never really caught on

These is my Words, The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 by Nancy E. Turner - p. 37  Again, I never really got into this book, so when I couldn't renew it, I just gave up on it.

Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig - I enjoyed seeing Gone with the Wind from Rhett's point of view, but otherwise it was only OK.

My Losing Season by Pat Conroy - Non-fiction of his final season playing basketball at the Citadel.  I've enjoyed Conroy's other books, but this one being non-fiction was very difficult to read just how cruel his father was.

In Defense of Food, an Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan - I'm at page 85 and counting.  It's a very interesting and thought-provoking book.  I would probably be further along, but I keep stopping to consider and occasionally  discuss the ideas.  I will definitely finish this book.

Affluenza by John de Graaf - another thought provoking book.  I've just barely started this one, but its already spawning conversation for the dinner table.

A rather short list, but M (12 yo son) makes up for it.  We went to the library last Sat and he has already finished all 20 or so books he checked out.  Plus 2 weeks before that he checked out another 30 (or so) books and read all them.  There was still another week in May before that but I don't remember how many books he checked out then - and the first week in May he was still able to check books out from the school library too.  Many of M's books are manga, but he has a decent number of other, mostly YA fiction.  Since he finished off his books, DH gave him one of his library books to look at - a rather unusual book for a 12 yo, but he seems to be enjoying it - Physics of the impossible, a scientific exploration into the world of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation and Time Travel by Michio Kaku.  It led to dinner discussions of robots and quantum mechanics tonight.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're the second person who's cited Eat, Pray, Love, and even though neither of you liked it (for different reasons), I'm curious enough that it's now on my list. To that, though, I'm adding TWO from yours: In Defense of Food, and Affluenza. They sound fascinating. Thanks!

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home