Friday, March 05, 2010

Our Blackberry Patch is Gone!

I was over at the elementary school today, waiting to pick A up from his field trip, and because the bus was late, I decided to walk around the track. I was astonished to see that they have completely cleared out the blackberry canes! They have also cut down some trees and other brush. Some of the blackberry canes were not terribly productive, but about a third of them produced nice, big, fat, juicy blackberries.

I am really going to miss the blackberries, especially those big, juicy ones - and especially since they were away from traffic and close to home. Now, this spring, I have to be on the lookout for the telltale white flowers that tell me where the blackberries will be in the summer.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Carol P. said...

Oh no! They built a house on our nearest blackberry patch, but at least I know of several others around here :)

9:09 PM  
Blogger owlfan said...

When I was a kid, they were constantly building subdivisions in our blackberry patches - it seemed like we had to find a new patch every 2-3 years. We've been using this one behind the school for at least 7-8 years. I had one other patch, but they cleared it for houses years ago. Time to hunt...

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Oh, No!!! Do you remember, K, when they built that entirely unnecessary subdivision in our glorious blackberry patch on the corner of Sewell Mill and ??? In past years, I have noticed blackberries blooming along one of of the state highways. I'll keep a lookout as well. M-m

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home