Friday, September 08, 2006

How not to run an election

The kids school was having an election for a school council - not a student council, though they've had that recently also - but a council of parents, teachers, community members to help.... um, I'm not quite sure what they do.... provide strategic direction for the school or something. All I really know is that they warned people that it was a time commitment of several hours each month.

Anyway, I went in to the school to vote and was handed a piece of paper saying, "write down the name of the person you are voting for". Umm, I don't remember the names of the people who are running, even though I've gotten 2 or 3 phone tree messages from the principal telling us that they are having this election. I ask if there is a biography of the people. No. Evidently I'm supposed to vote based on hearsay or whether I happen to know the person because their kid has been in my kid's class. I was able to find out what grade each ones kid is in, but that was about it. I didn't feel like a very informed voter. There has got to be a better way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol P. said...

Ooosh! Yuck! I sure wouldn't want to be the principal if somebody with a hot-button doesn't win!

Our schools have a local site council officially elected through our election process. They decide school policy issues for the local school (I think they're answerable to the school board) and that sort of thing.

10:16 AM  
Blogger owlfan said...

Sounds like it might be a better plan than the way our works (or doesn't work).

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home