Monday, December 10, 2007

He ATE a bug!

Actually A ate 3.5 bugs today. In Entomology class. With great glee and gusto. He came home with a pin proudly proclaiming "I ate a bug".

He says that he had 2 chocolate covered crickets ("They're yummy!"), a mealworm and the thorax of a roasted cricket (not so tasty). He also came home with a recipe:

1. Buy crickets at bait store
2. Roast crickets
3. Melt chocolate
4. Spoon on wax paper
5. Add cricket
6. Cover with chocolate

A says that there should be a 7th step to the recipe: Eat cricket

I don't think I'll be following this recipe any time soon (ever?!). Besides, what temperature do you roast crickets at??? I'm sure none of my cookbooks will tell me. Also, putting live crickets in my oven. Uhhh, NO.

Interesting side note - I had to sign a permission slip for A to be able to eat crickets. It seems that the exoskeleton of a cricket is similar to the chitin in shellfish, so I had to declare that he was not allergic to shellfish. Seems to be that the exoskeleton would be similar to the shell of say a shrimp, but not to the shrimp itself, but what do I know?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol P. said...

Eeeeeuw! But if you're ever in a survivalist situation, at least you'll have a recipe, and A can do the cooking and the culinary reviews....

10:39 AM  
Blogger owlfan said...

A says he could have brought me the recipe for mealworms too. Ummm, no thanks!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home