Friday, July 03, 2009

quilted bag

I guess I took these pictures sideways, since the handles of my bag are off to the right (not very visible, being navy blue against the dark wood).  But this is my latest project and it is finally done.  

This side was an orphan block.  I made it in a workshop on learning paper piecing.  What I mostly learned was that paper piecing can be a real pain.  I still don't understand why the first 2 went together fine, but on the 3rd quarter, I had to redo I piece at least 4 times!  After that experience, I wasn't about to make any more of this particular design.  So, making it into a bag made sense.
Now for the other side of the bag.  Hmm.  No orphan blocks that really looked right with it, so I had to make a block.  I found a block of this design (but non-compatible colors) and decided I would do another of the same type.  


It took me forever to find a pattern for this - finally on the 3rd time through one of my drawers, I found the template to cut the pieces out.

Overall I'm rather pleased with this, though I wish I'd remembered how much of the side seams gets taken up.  I would have made the side borders wider.


Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

That's so great you came up with another way to use the block! I probably would have just set fire to it out of frustration. (Pardon me while I move paper piecing farther down on my Things To Learn list.)

1:12 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

That looks great! What a wonderful way to use up orphan blocks. Have a great weekend!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home